Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Keeping it honest

When I was in my late teens - early twenties, I weighed in at 250+ pounds, a size 24. I dropped about 50 pounds in my early twenties, which I've maintained since then. I hover around the 200 pound mark, give or take 10 pounds, around a size 14-16.

I hit 40 this year, back in January, and some health issues are starting to pop up. I don't like taking meds and hate going to the doctor (it's a phobia, actually), so I decided it's time to lose more weight.

My goal is to lose 50 more pounds. That'll put me at the top of the healthy BMI range, at 150 pounds.  Once I hit that goal, I'll re-evaluate, and see if I can lose more.

I started exercising a little under a month ago. Walking when I can, but mostly using the exercise bike that I have, which has those moving arms on it.  I've gotten into the habit of biking 5 days a week, allowing myself two days off. I've been taking Fridays and Saturdays off, but that may change as I get into the habit of it. For now, I bike as soon as I get home from work, first thing. I am up to 11 miles in under thirty minutes, and my goal is to increase another mile each week. The moving arm thing just about kills me, so I end up using that off/on every quarter mile. I hope to increase that over time as well.

Once I drop 20-30 pounds, I'll also think about a gym membership or signing up for Zumba, to give myself some variety.  Right now I'm concentrating on building up some stamina and getting into the habit of exercising.

I took my measurements today, and I'll be tracking those every month. Though I've been exercising for almost a month, I've only lost 3 lbs so far, and I need other ways to track my progress, so as not to get discouraged. Granted, I hadn't really modified what I was eating.  So, I just signed up for Weight Watchers online. I'll start tracking that tomorrow.

I've started this blog for my own motivation. I've been a blogger for years, and writing is nothing new to me. This blog is my way of keeping myself honest, holding myself accountable for this challenge. It definitely will be a challenge, but one I think that I am finally ready to take on.

Wish me luck!
-A


No comments:

Post a Comment